has recorded a podfic of my The 100 fic: Jewels in Joy Designed
. Go, listen! Tell her how wonderful her reading is!
2. Writing has been frustrating lately, in that way where I've done a lot of things necessary for writing that aren't ACTUALLY writing. The problem is that I'm currently revamping the novella, trying to re-structure a lot of scenes and it's hard, annoying work (because I'm so close to the existing material right now) and I can't really start a new draft until I have it all figured out and grrrrr.
But, in reality, I've been doing writing-related things every day, and I keep getting encouraging news and reactions, and overall I feel good about where I am. It's just... difficult to be a writer when you're not actually writing, to me. Like, putting words down on paper calms my anxiety, gives me something solid to hold onto. Everything else doesn't matter so much when I have the work, because the work is what really makes me happy.
3. Speaking of which - I'm slowly getting the hang of having a public, professional twitter, and I can now actually say: follow me at berlin_marina
for cool links and updates and occasional photos! In the last week there's been a parody of sociology courses
, an infographic of all the deaths in the Illiad
and human biases in AI programs
Also, if, like me, you have a locked and a public account, we can be friends on our public twitters so other people can join in the conversation and stuff? I've tried to add the professional/public accounts of people I otherwise follow fannishly, so if you're into that sort of thing, do add me!
Content-wise, I try to make sure there's no overlap between my public and private twitter, in order to not spam people (I retweet stuff from berlin_marina
sometimes but if you follow both accounts you'll only see the tweets once).
Also, man, I mainly locked my fannish twitter because I was tired of random bots (it actually wasn't for privacy or anything like that) and BOY DO I NOT MISS THE BOTS. Like, losing the ability to have public conversations for a while was annoying, but nowhere as annoying as twitter bots and like, actors from TV shows I was tweeting about (without using the hashtag!) starting conversations with me about my views. (I realize that's one of the best things about twitter for some people, but for me it was like, most distance from the canon, please!)
4. This post on Evgeni Malkin's translator coming with him to the locker room
has been cracking me up non-stop for a while. Regardless of your feelings on hockey, you should check it out.
5. In fanvid news, now that I have my computer back (after nearly a YEAR OF SEPARATION) with its harddrive full of ALL MY MOVIES and ALL MY FAVORITE FANVIDS I've... been rewatching a lot of stuff, basically. I need to catch up and download all the fanvids I've loved in the last year, but meanwhile I've recently discover/rediscovered a couple of jarrow
vids, so I'm going to just rec them to you.
, The 100.
This is his newest vid and it's SO GOOD and it's intended for people who've never seen the show! GO, WATCH IT! The ironic thing is that as much as I loved this vid I was also a bit disappointed because of all the amazing, awesome things (just on the theme the vid's chosen!) couldn't be fit in there. So, just, go watch several minutes of AMAZING WARRIOR LADIES and know that that isn't even all the warrior ladies in the show (BY FAR), not to mention the show having 453534 other cool things going on. (Trigger warning for graphic violence)
I died laughing at this vid, DIED. I think it's even more amazing because it's basically like 4 minutes of puns and visual gags, so it's like literally every section of it is its own comedy. I possibly first lost it during the Beyonce part. Basically rewatching this forever. (Trigger warning for graphic violence)
* Like My Very Own Blood
, Battlestar Galactica.
This is an old vid, but I recently stumbled on it in my vids folder and realized it was also by Jarrow and honestly, I think this vid has gotten even more amazing with time. Like a lot of things about BSG, its amazing aspects became even more pronounced as time went by (and television didn't supply us with any BSG-like shows - The 100 being the only exception so far). It's true that any Starbuck vid these days makes you go "remember that brief time when we had characters like this on TV?" but this vid, which delves into the most desperate, vulnerable, fucked up aspects of the character, is perhaps even more impressive. ( more about this vid )
6. As can be expected before a vacation - work has been ridiculously busy, and I have about a billion things to do. Aside from packing and shopping for some essentials, there's also my dad's birthday this week /o\ IT IS JUST A LOT OF THINGS TO GET DONE. And it's been so hot lately I literally wake up covered in sweat. LITERALLY. (I can't sleep with the a/c or a fan on because they both make me sick.)