1. There are really no words for how tired I am today. I've been teetering on the edge of a migraine for days now. Yesterday I was at work for 12 hours (9am-9pm) because my department was producing an event and my boss wanted everyone to be there, even though I didn't actually have anything to do. Which is to say, I didn't get to enjoy the event (a series of short lectures) but I did get to stand outside and help out with bringing a paper bag or telling people where a building was occasionally.
So, a 12 hour day on the FIRST DAY OF THE WORK WEEK. Kill me now.
2. In addition to this, stress hit me like baseball bat once I went back to work, so now I can't sleep very well either. It was like, I came home from vacation and I was sleeping fine - the kind of deep sleep that doesn't mind light or outside noises, the kind where I get woken up by my alarm instead of the other way around. And then, after my first day back at work, it was like a wave. Suddenly I can't fall asleep, I wake up in the middle of the night, I wake up before my alarm. Anxiety and stress.
It's not work, specifically. It's the shock of getting back to full working days, yes, but it's also anxiety about my degree (which is currently a clusterfuck IDEK how to untangle), it's the fact that I still don't have an apartment so I feel like I don't have my own space (I mean, roga
's guest room is lovely but it doesn't feel like My Bedroom, because it isn't, and I just feel like I'm living in limbo which stresses me out).
3. In happy news - one of the supermarkets next to roga
's place is closing, so they're having a 20% off everything in the store sale. Today's the last day and I plan to go in there and buy all the frozen seafood they might have left, basically. I mean the rest of their prices aren't amazing - the store is already so expensive that 20% off is basically the price you'd get at a cheap supermarket anyway - but seafood is harder to find and usually the stores selling it are more expensive to begin with, so.
4. In even happier news - Australian coworker
is gone *_______* Apparently he left while I was on vacation, and didn't even CC me on the goodbye email he sent everyone, lolol. With him gone and French Coworker
on maternity leave until January, the department is actually an OK place to work in all of the sudden? At least socially? It's pretty amazing. I don't have to worry about how to avoid communicating with coworkers who are going to be epic assholes to me and then worry about how I'm going to hide that avoidance from my boss.
In other news, I talked to my dad in NYC the other day and when I mentioned my job basically the first thing he said was "you need to change jobs already. You outgrew that place a long time ago." And he's right, but I can't think about that with my clusterfuck of a degree and while I don't have a fucking place to live. I just can't.
5. The weather has been lovely lately. Last week it was chillier, but this week we're back to the kind of weather where I just walk around in super thin shirts with short sleeves. I've been back from Europe for two weeks and I've gone to the beach (and into the water!) three times in that time. It's been absolutely wonderful, and I only hope this weather lasts for one more beach/pool visit.